Allied ecn151 Module 7 Check Your Understanding latest 2015 November
If a nation is selling more goods and services to foreigners than it is buying from them, then on net it must be buying assets abroad.
2. If saving is greater than domestic investment, then:
a. there is a trade deficit and Y > C + I + G.
b. there is a trade deficit and Y < C + I + G.
c. there is a trade surplus and Y > C + I + G.
d. there is a trade surplus and Y < C + I + G.
3. If interest rates rose more in Germany than in the U.S. and other things remained the same, then:
a. U.S. citizens would buy more German bonds and German citizens would buy more U.S. bonds.
b. U.S. citizens would buy more German bonds and German citizens would buy fewer U.S. bonds.
c. U.S. citizens would buy fewer German bonds and German citizens would buy more U.S. bonds.
d. U.S. citizens would buy fewer German bonds and German citizens would buy fewer U.S. bonds.
4. Although trade policies do not affect a country’s overall trade balance, they do affect specific firms and industries.
5. Trade policies:
a. alter the trade balance because they alter imports of the country that implemented them.
b. alter the trade balance because they alter net capital outflow of the country that implemented them.
c. do not alter the trade balance because they cannot alter the national saving or domestic investment of the country that implements them.
d. do not alter the trade balance because they cannot alter the real exchange rate of the currency of the country that implements them.
6. Clear Brooke Farms, a U.S. manufacturer of frozen vegetarian entrees, sells cases of its product to stores overseas. Its sales:
a. decrease U.S. exports, but increase U.S. net exports.
b. decrease both U.S. exports and U.S. net exports.
c. increase both U.S. exports and U.S. net exports.
d. increase U.S. exports, but decrease U.S. net exports.
7. Because a government budget deficit represents:
a. negative public saving, it increases national saving.
b. negative public saving, it decreases national saving.
c. positive public saving, it increases national saving.
d. positive public saving, it decreases national saving.
8. If it took as many dollars to buy goods in the United States as it did to buy enough currency to buy the same goods in India, the real exchange rate would be computed as how many Indian goods per U.S. goods?
b. The number of dollars needed to buy U.S. goods divided by the number of rupees needed to buy Indian goods.
c. The number of rupees needed to buy Indian goods divided by the number of dollars needed to buy U.S. goods.
d. None of the choices apply.
9. Both foreign direct investment and foreign portfolio investment by U.S. residents increase U.S. net capital outflow.
10. In an open economy, the demand for loanable funds comes from both domestic investment and net capital outflow.
11. If the risk of buying U.S. assets rises because it is discovered that lending institutions had not carefully evaluated borrowers prior to lending them funds, then:
a. net capital outflow and the real exchange rate will rise.
b. net capital outflow will rise and the real exchange rate will fall.
c. net capital outflow will fall and the real exchange rate will rise.
d. net capital outflow and the exchange rate will fall.
12. In the open-economy macroeconomic model, the quantity of dollars demanded in the market for foreign-currency exchange:
a. depends on the real exchange rate. The quantity of dollars supplied in the foreign-exchange market depends on the real interest rate.
b. depends on the real exchange rate. The quantity of dollars supplied in the foreign-exchange market depends on the real interest rate.
c. and the quantity of dollars supplied in the market for foreign-currency exchange depend on the real exchange rate.
d. and the quantity of dollars supplied in the market for foreign-currency exchange depend on the real interest rate.
13. In which of the following situations must national saving rise?
a. Both domestic investment and net capital outflow increase.
b. Domestic investment increases and net capital outflow decreases.
c. Domestic investment decreases and net capital outflow increases.
d. Both domestic investment and net capital outflow decrease.
14. What are Argentina’s imports?
a. $60 billion
b. $35 billion
c. $40 billion
d. None of the choices apply.
15. When net capital outflow is negative, it means that on net the value of domestic assets purchased by foreigners exceeds the value of foreign assets purchased by domestic residents.
16. Jason plans to buy shrimp in Florida and sell them in Ames, Iowa where the price is higher. Jason plans to engage in arbitrage.
17. If Japan’s national saving exceeds its domestic investment, then Japan has:
a. positive net capital outflows and negative net exports.
b. positive net capital outflows and positive exports.
c. negative net capital outflows and negative net exports.
d. negative net capital outflows and positive net exports.
18. According to the open-economy macroeconomic model, if the United States moved from a government budget deficit to a government budget surplus, U.S. real interest rates would increase and the real exchange rate of the U.S. dollar would appreciate.
19. Purchasing-power parity says that the nominal exchange rate must equal the real exchange rate.
20. When a country imposes an import quota, its:
a. net exports rise and its real exchange rate appreciates.
b. net exports rise and its real exchange rate depreciates.
c. net exports fall and its real exchange rate depreciates.
d. None of the choices apply.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.