read the info and then answer the questions.
Sometimes mistakenly called the “dark ages” European history from the fall of Rome until the Renaissance that began in Italy is a complex topic. Allow approximately two weeks to complete the reading and assignments for this chapter.
Next, read through these short “lectures” written by Lynn H. Nelson of the University of Kansas (some of them are actually quite funny) and watch the short videos, some of which were created by a social studies teacher. (Sometimes YouTube has great little gems.) The questions following some of the links will be on the worksheet for this unit.
The Rise of the Western Church
*What is the importance of the Council of Nicaeca?
*Why was Islam able to spread so quickly?
The Carolingian Empire
*note the inter-connectedness of Byzantine, Muslim, and Frankish empires
*Who was Charlemagne revolting against?
*Why was Charlemagne’s rule so pivotal for Western Europe?
The Fall of the Carolingian Empire
*What were some of King Louis’s mistakes?
*What is “primogeniture”?
Three Views of Feudalism
*note the use of 1920’s-30’s American gangs to explain feudalism
The Peasants: Advances in Agricultural Technology
*note the importance of agricultural developments to the advancement of civilization
*What was the role of Pope Urban III in the crusades?
State of the Nobility
*How did the rise of strong monarchies and the middle class affect feudal society?
*What is the origin of the idea of “soul-mates”?
*What was the greatest change in the feudal aristocracy?
*What created the class of paupers in medieval society?
The Rise of Capitalism and Decline of the Guilds
*What was the role of the Guild in medieval society?
The Great Famine and the Black Death
*Name three factors contributing to the Great Famine
The Avignon Papacy
*Explain the contention between King Phillip IV of France and Pope Boniface VIII
*Why was the papal court moved from Rome?
The Hundred Years’ War
*What was the root cause of the war?
*What prevented France (which had more people and resources) from winning the war?
The Sundering of Society
*How and why did the monarchies of the 15th century and beyond hold more power than previous monarchies in Europe?
1) What was the importance/outcome of the Council of Nicaeca?
2) What factors contributed to the ease with which Islam spread?
3) Who was Charlemagne revolting against?
4) Why was Charlemagne’s rule so pivitol for Western Europe?
5) What were some of King Louis’s mistakes?
6) What is “‘primogeniture”?
7) In your own words, explain the system of feudalism in medieval society
8) Explain the importance of agricultural developments in the rise of commerce and growth of towns.
9) What was the role of Pope Urban II in the First Crusade?
10) How did the rise of strong monarchies and the middle class affect feudal society?
11) What is the origin of the idea of “soul-mates”?
12) What was the greatest change in the feudal aristocracy?
13) What created the class of paupers in medieval society?
14) What was the role of the Guilds?
15) What impact did the rise of towns have on medieval society?
16) Name three factors contributing to the Great Famine.
17) What was the main factor contributing to the spread of the Black Death?
18) What were three immediate consequences of the plague?
19) Explain the contention between King Phillip IV of France and Pope Boniface VIII.
20) Why was the papal court moved from Rome?
21) What was the root cause of the Hundred Years’ War?
22) What prevented France (which had more people and resources) from winning the war?
23) How and why did monarchs of the 15th century and beyond hold more power than previous monarchs in Europe?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.