1. Compute the profitability ratios, including the a and b components (DuPont Methods) of ratios 2 and 3 as shown in the textbook. The profitability ratios should be shown for all three years.
2. Write a brief one-paragraph description of any trends that appear to have taken place over the three-year time period.
3. In examining the income statement in Figure 1, note that there was an extraordinary loss of $170,000 in 2006. This might have represented uninsured losses from a fire, a lawsuit settlement, etc. It probably does not represent a recurring event or affect the earnings capability of the firm. For that reason, the astute financial analyst might add back in the extraordinary loss to gauge the true operating earnings of the firm. Since it was a tax-deductible item, we must first multiply by (1-tax rate) before adding it back in.* The tax rate was 35 percent for the year.*
$170,000 Extraordinary loss
.65 (1-tax rate)
$110,500 Aftertax addition to profits from eliminating
the extraordinary loss from net income
The more representative net income number for 2003 would now be:
Initially reported (Figure 1) $200,318
Adjustment for extraordinary loss being eliminated +110,500
Adjusted net income $310,818
Based on the adjusted net income figure of $310,818, re compute the profitability ratios for 2006 (include part a and b for ratios 2 and 3).
4. Now with the adjusted net income numbers as part of the ratios for 2006, write a brief one-paragraph description of trends that appear to have taken place over the three-year time period (refer back to the data in Question 1 for 2004 and 2005).
5. Once again, using the revised profitability ratios for 2006 that you
developed in Question 3, write a complete one paragraph analysis of the
company’s profitability ratios compared to the industry ratios (figure 3).
Make sure to include asset turnover and debt to total assets as supplemental
material in your analysis.
6. Harrod’s has a superior sales to total assets ratio compared to the industry.
For 2006, compute ratios 4, 6 and 7 as described in the text and compare
them to industry data to see why this is so. Write a brief one-paragraph
description of the results. Note: for ratio 4, only half the sales are on credit
7. Conclusion: Based on your analysis in answering Questions 4 and 5, do you
hink that Becky Harrod has a legitimate complaint about being charged 2½
percent over prime instead of one percent over prime? There is no absolute
right answer to this question, but use your best judgment
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.