Chapter 1 • The Study and Scope of Justice Administration
Questions for Review
1. Do the three justice components ( police, courts, and corrections) constitute a true system or are they more appropriately described as a process or a true nonsystem? Defend your response.
2. What are the legal and historical bases for a justice sys-tem and its administration in the United States? Why is the conflict- versus- consensus debate important?
3. What are some of the substantive ways in which public-and private- sector administration are similar? How are they dissimilar?
4. What elements of planned change must the justice administrator be familiar with in order to ensure that change is effected rationally and successfully?
5. Which method, a rational process or just muddling through, appears to be used in criminal justice policy-making today? Which method is probably best, given real- world realities? Explain your response. Questions for Review
Learn by Doing
1. Your criminal justice professor asks you to consider the CJS flow chart displayed on the inside cover of the text. Then, after reading this chapter, you are asked to prepare a paper concerning how this chart both implies that criminal justice agencies constitute a system as well as a non system. What will be your response? Alternatively, do you believe that the CJS most closely resembles a network or process ? Explain.
2. It is announced that because of financial shortfalls, your local police department must eliminate 10 percent of its officer positions through layoffs and retirements. a. Given the criminal justice planning adage that “ you cannot rock one end of the boat,” what might be the effects of such position reductions on your local criminal justice system? b. Assume instead that local revenues have increased in your jurisdiction, and your local police depart-ment is told it can add 10 percent more officers’ positions. What possible impacts on your local CJS might result?
3. Your criminal justice professor is working on a journal article concerning the social compact or contract the-ory of the origin of government. As her research assist-ant, you are assigned to summarize John Locke’s theory of same, including its significance and application to the U. S. CJS. What will be contained in your report?
4. The head of your state department of corrections wants to close the state’s oldest prison, now located in the state cap-itol; constructed in the 1920s, it is now extremely danger-ous as well as very expensive to operate. Although the new location would be in a community that is 50 miles away, the new location would be nearer the state capitol and offer a considerably larger labor pool of prospective prison employees as well as a much better public transportation system. Being politically astute, the director asks you and several of your fellow staff members to conduct a force-field analysis, looking at both communities to determine opposition and support for the move. Identify at least three forces or factors that are likely to support the decision to relocate the prison and three that are likely to oppose it.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.